Friday 1 February 2013

URBAN ENGLISH IRRITATES ME!!!! (and a bit of Facebook hate too... DON'T JUDGE ME!)

Greetings children, first blog post for February 2013 (?!?!?!?!)!

And as you can guess, this is about urban English.

Which irritates me.

A lot.

BASICALLY.

School's starting again pretty soon, which will be great because the holidays are BORING the heck out of me, HOWEVER, everyone will be fresh from looking up the latest urban phrases which I have no idea about, usually relating to a so-called 'dirty mind'.

Let me give you a pointer.

In Grade 6 (I was 12), we were in PE and the teacher was sharing out soccer balls. Upon doing so, the teacher cried out 'make sure that you've got at least five everyone!' and so in our groups, I simply said this.

"How many balls do we have?"

...

I have never forgotten that day. The day when this one girl in my group just stared at me with an open mouth as if I had just said something incredibly abnormal for my personality.

She then replied with, "Oh my god! What did you say?! That was so wrong!" And I remember being confused for the rest of the year.

Ever since, I have been 'socially suicidal' by saying things like "Oh please, just shut the... the... doodles up will you?!" when I couldn't think of a good enough clean word to express how annoyed I was at these boys interrupting study time.

Frankly, I can't see how words like 'balls' and 'doodles' became so 'wrong' to say. And how 'dirty minds' came about. If you ask me, some stupid person probably began putting the two terms together and sharing it on that ruddy... horrible... thing called FACEBOOK. Oh... I hate Facebook so much... anyway...

Thanks to Urban Dictionary, I've been able to sort a few things out, like the quote 'that's what she said' and 'I see how it is'. I'm also educated enough to understand what people say when they talk about 'feels', although I was weary to find out. But nothing, I tell you nothing, can explain how this all came about, and I think that's what irritates me the most. Not how complicated it is, not how hard it is to keep up, but how it started, because it's not positive, or educational, or useful at all. It's just a tool to embarass and bully people who aren't up to date. And not just me, but a LOT of people suffer from this I think, and at my school alone. And it's supposed to be a good school too... Urban English is just so... unecessary, that I wish we could just abolish the whole this altogether.

...

Well except for the phrase 'Seems Legit' :D




Always be legitimate everyone...

Have a lovely day!
Angie xox

No comments:

Post a Comment